• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Ric

Ric

Dirty old man

• Valhalla
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:10 PM

*disclaimer*   I'm new to AWD in slidey stuffs and only know front engine, rear wheel drive to any talent.

I did miserably.   I was on my OEM Dunlops, which are summer performance only, and the 1st 3 of 6 runs were soupy mud.  I've never had to use more sidebrake ever in any of my motor sports history.  They ran Modified 4wd "M4" in the last half.   Incidentally they re-watered the surface and it was super slippery even on the parade lap.  1st half had way better dirt and I got dusted constantly working the course.  I guess if you want less dust - make the fast AWD/4WD cars deal with it.  lol 

Snow tires...   unless I want group N brakes and run real 15" rally tires I'll need to buy bleeding edge brakes so I can get pads that take track days.   Fuck.

I did take video, but it's upside down. Fucking go pro showed a proper display so we figured it was good to go.   Nope to the fuck them. Wrecked the recording of my 1st experience.  If I can find software to flip it and isn't something that is intrusive - I'll get it to y'all.  

In all - I had a blast.  when the surface dried, I was doing great (probably okay).   In all my years of autocross  - you get behind the cone and know where you'll be in 3 gates.  In today's experience - you're beside the cone and looking for a transition to rotate in a short focus.

I'll keep doing it because all in all, it was WAAY more fun that autocross.   The car is going to be used for most motor sports so I don't want to geld it for one to benefit another. 

As it were... "67" is my year of birth and I used it in games with a choosable number.   I'll be 714 forward now that I can see I can choose 3 digits.

Here is our dirty STI.

31ZspGe.jpg

• JasonP likes this

#2 blue109

blue109

Dirty little wheel whore

• Veterans
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:22 AM

Awesome. ...but we need action shots

#3 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

Def need to see that footage. Maybe you can throw it up here and someone has software to flip it for you.

#4 Ric

Ric

Dirty old man

• Valhalla
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:48 PM

My ex-son-in-law has the footage to see if he can flip it.   He's a movie dude and makes movies.  I'll post that upside shit if y'all want it.   lol - but it sucked.  I was horrible.  :D

here is some pics that I've found.

wnbXpV3.jpg

3d4UdrN.jpg

KyJLZS2.jpg

IU8OJ6d.jpg

#5 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

Looks fun man!

#6 ultimateirving

ultimateirving

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:44 PM

Very bad ass! Thanks for sharing the photos. Glad to see someone using their fucking sti for dirt.
  • Ric likes this

#7 blue109

blue109

Dirty little wheel whore

• Veterans
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:18 PM

Wonder if wifee would let me take the outback :D

#8 Ric

Ric

Dirty old man

• Valhalla
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:42 AM

My ex son-in-law fixed the videos for me.

1st run was 108.9  it was so muddy.

This is the last run when it dried out.  I did a 74.0.   

#9 JasonP

JasonP

I dream of...

• Veterans
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 03:42 PM

"Remember: This isn't autocross." /dead

#10 JMax

JMax

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:34 AM

WE HAVE TO BUILD A GC8 AND FUCKING RALLYCROSS THAT SHIT RIC.

Also, where was this at? Send me all that info. Off road and rally might be the next chapter in life as far as doing car shit. Drifitng is kind of dead to me... maybe.

My dad was an off-road nut but BAJA shit nut, not mudding tall truck rock climbing shit. I was born and raised in SoCal baby, BAJA 1000, 500, 250, 150 is all in my blood. Got to follow the real shit in 93 thru 98. My dad was a huge fan and setup his truck for baja shit as much as he could with the exception of a LTS - he would be dodging pine trees off the sierra Juarez doing crazy off-road shit. He did BAJA 250 once on a 77 Toyota Hilux with no sponsors and finished top 25 which is fucking great for a fan with FUCKIGN STOCK SUSPENSION and just some ranchos and tubed truck. I learned how to drive on that fucking truck on dirt roads. This has been a morbid desire of mine for a long ass time: dirt rally.  

I am trying to find a beat to shit honda EG6 or EK9 and set that up for my starter car or a wrecked WRX to start this endeavour. But then I want a Hellcat Charger too... fucking man I want to be rich.

#11 blue109

blue109

Dirty little wheel whore

• Veterans
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

This could be you....I have a line on a cheap platform that just needs a little work ;)

Attached Files

Edited by blue109, 25 February 2019 - 03:41 PM.

#12 Ric

Ric

Dirty old man

• Valhalla
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:19 PM

Also, where was this at? Send me all that info. Off road and rally might be the next chapter in life as far as doing car shit. Drifitng is kind of dead to me... maybe.

My dad was an off-road nut but BAJA shit nut, not mudding tall truck rock climbing shit. I was born and raised in SoCal baby, BAJA 1000, 500, 250, 150 is all in my blood. Got to follow the real shit in 93 thru 98. My dad was a huge fan and setup his truck for baja shit as much as he could with the exception of a LTS - he would be dodging pine trees off the sierra Juarez doing crazy off-road shit. He did BAJA 250 once on a 77 Toyota Hilux with no sponsors and finished top 25 which is fucking great for a fan with FUCKIGN STOCK SUSPENSION and just some ranchos and tubed truck. I learned how to drive on that fucking truck on dirt roads. This has been a morbid desire of mine for a long ass time: dirt rally.  

I am trying to find a beat to shit honda EG6 or EK9 and set that up for my starter car or a wrecked WRX to start this endeavour. But then I want a Hellcat Charger too... fucking man I want to be rich.

it's on a fucking facebook page... but meh.   I only use facebook for the subaru site and rally stuff.

A stock car on snow tires  will go really far.  I was getting getting hammered by stock Miatas just because I didn't have the right tires !  Once it was dryer, I was faster than them, even on summer only sport tires.   I say, get a friggen Miata or Mike's (it's Mike, right?) outback and keep it stock but on snow tires...  look at this -> https://medium.com/@JimRowland/rallycross-snow-tires-cc74e9e175bc?fbclid=IwAR1qtd0Iku4HcEKX7EkPiNGspg5B2I67qPxeoKTHC7JwU8Y4b8fT69Ceisg

The only way to be fast is to slide judging by that event.

#13 JasonP

JasonP

I dream of...

• Veterans
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

I have said EG6.  Just needs motor swapped...

#14 snatfinder

snatfinder

S14 SE Alloys

• Veterans
  • 569 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

I say, get a friggen Miata or Mike's (it's Mike, right?) outback and keep it stock but on snow tires... 

I have an FR-S and the previous owner gave me the stock wheels with snow tires mounted...

#15 Ric

Ric

Dirty old man

• Valhalla
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

I say, get a friggen Miata or Mike's (it's Mike, right?) outback and keep it stock but on snow tires... 

I have an FR-S and the previous owner gave me the stock wheels with snow tires mounted...

fucking do it !!    next event is on the 16th.   So much fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users