43 replies to this topic

#1 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 03:55 PM

Hey guys,

I am bored at work so I decided I'll start a little build thread on here for my jeep. I haven't had a good car project for a while and have been doing the offroading thing instead. Also, I dont go to any other forums these days and since there is not much activity here anyway, I will use this space to document the progress of the Jeep. Maybe some of you guys have interest in the offroading world too. 

The story behind this jeep is that I bought it bone stock back in 2009 or so. It was a super cherry 2005 Wrangler Unlimited with about 35k on it. I originally I bought it as a daily driver and did some mods to it as I went on. However, I was laid off after having it about a year and ended up having to sell it to a co-worker. I always regretting selling it and wished I could get it back. The unlimited (LJ) model ended up being incredibly desirable due to the wheelbase and size for serious offroading and the prices on them actually went up after I got rid of it. Fast forward to last january and that co-worker I sold it to called me out of the blue and told me he was potentially needing to sell it due to a divorce. He had beat it up quite a bit and left it outside with no soft top windows on, but he had added some awesome parts and only put about 10k miles in the 6 or so years he had it. He offered it to me at a price that was so low I would have kicked myself forever if I didn't buy it back. Luckily, I had just started a much better paying job and I was able to talk(con) the wife into buying it.

Anyway, Ill post some pics a little later when I get home and track the progress I've made.

Here it was the day I brought it home.

Attached File  Jeep 1st day.jpg   133.15KB   0 downloads

Attached File  Jeep 1st day (4).jpg   115.02KB   0 downloads

Then came the first mod. Rock sliders to protect the body from our desert since I figured I wouldn't be able to lift it for a while.  

Attached File  IMG_3582.JPG   110.53KB   0 downloads

Cool pic from the back side of Mt. Lemmon

Attached File  DSC09416.JPG   196.45KB   0 downloads

Then I added a little budget boost 1.5" lift and some 33s. 

Attached File  DSC09491.JPG   121.67KB   0 downloads

I hated the first set of 33s, so I added a 3" spring lift and got a set of real MT tires. This is how it looked the day I sold it. It looked so good in this picture. Made me sick to get rid of it, so I had to take one last look at it before it was gone. 

Attached File  IMAG0240.jpg   86.03KB   0 downloads

Edited by mastadon, 15 October 2018 - 08:53 PM.

#2 Ric

Ric

Dirty old man

• Valhalla
  • 4,510 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 04:12 PM

I know something of off-roading.  :)

CifHCe6.jpg

the right line is the right line and torn and bent metal is a thing.  Obviously I protected the drive train.  The previous owner did roll it to it's side on a trail.  It climbed like a goat and could have used a bit more gear as the 4.10s lost breath on really steep shit as the engine only made like 140hp.     

...her name was Sonja, and I miss her.

#3 Joel

Joel

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 05:00 PM

Nice! I always wanted to get into off roading, and I tried once with a Tacoma, and quickly realized off-road components are way more expensive than drifting LOL. 

Sucks that he left it outside without protection though.

#4 JasonP

JasonP

I dream of...

• Veterans
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:57 PM

We're in need of a new family machine and I've been looking at a few different SUVs with four wheel drive to go play in some dirt.  The Pilot has "AWD", but isn't much for climbing.

#5 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:01 PM

Here is the way it looked the day I brought it home about 6 years later when we were reunited. Believe it or not, this was AFTER I washed it. He lost the windows to the soft top and it was ripped. The interior was covered in filth. BUT, he had added a rear bumper with tire carrier, Currie anti-rock sway bar, ARB air compressor and ARB air lockers for the front and rear, a winch, plus he had regeared it to 4.56 gearing. This stuff was about $4000 worth of parts not including the install. 

It was rough, but I still saw hope. It was leaking oil from a couple different areas and the steering felt like shit, but overall it still ran like a top. 

vYTolHC.jpg

Edited by mastadon, 15 October 2018 - 09:06 PM.

#6 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:26 PM

I got it cleaned up a little and replaced the top. You can't tell here because the windows are out for fun. Also put a new Poison Spyder front bumper on. Had to go pose for a glamour shot with the new bumper...

zAg7wls.jpg

#7 JSamaniego

JSamaniego

S14 SE Alloys

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:16 AM

Nice to see something other than drift cars. This makes me want to go wrench on my Bronco.

#8 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:04 PM

It was at this point that I decided the tires were too old and dry and it was time to replace them. 

PVT1gzT.jpg

I decided I wanted to go bigger, and that also meant I'd have to change out the rims. And do some other stuff that will be in the next post...

ee8HhuG.jpg

test fitting the new wheels. Thanks for the killer deal Amazon...

#9 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:11 PM

Sooooo, I had decided to put 37s on this thing but I didn't want to lift any higher. That meant I had to get high clearance fenders and do some cutting on the body...

during

S4vNKAz.jpg

Installed fronts before paint. These are aluminum hi-fenders from Genright. So dope, but stupid expensive. Also slapped the new meats on there, but still had to trim the rear...beefy.

nwQMVlq.jpg

To fit the matching aluminum rear fenders I had to cut the rear wheel wells. A lot of other little shit went into doing that...oh and I painted the fronts. 

vhAEcp3.jpg

#10 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 09:17 PM

I had to trim the rock sliders and repaint them to fit with the new fenders. Finally got it all back together and its it looking fierce. Stoke level: maximum.

aLp4NPr.jpg

Don't mind the cardboard. The jeep still likes to mark it's territory. I need to replace the rear main seal. 

HVoyUFN.jpg

And that is where it sits for now. I am honestly not quite sure what will be next. I might just wait until things break on the trail and decide what to upgrade when that happens. In the mean time, I hope to enjoy it in the current state for a while and do some small upgrades here and there. Maybe some new seats. One thing I want to find is a set of OEM half doors.

#11 JasonP

JasonP

I dream of...

• Veterans
  • 2,774 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 06:57 AM

Man that is a fine looking piece of machinery!

#12 Beau

Beau

S14 SE Alloys

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:40 AM

Sr jeep https://imgur.com/gallery/fiYaAh5

https://i.imgur.com/x3P31eW.png

I thought this is what you meant?

What are you using to post pictures from your phone to here now?

Edited by Beau, 17 October 2018 - 10:41 AM.

#13 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:28 AM

I saw that thing on instagram the other day. Not sure how I feel about it. As for pics, I use imgur to host. I actually used my desktop to post these so far, but I have done it from my phone before.

Man that is a fine looking piece of machinery!

Thank you sir! Now I just need a car I can take to the track and Ill be content.

#14 snatfinder

snatfinder

S14 SE Alloys

• Veterans
  • 569 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:10 PM

Thank you sir! Now I just need a car I can take to the track and Ill be content.

Been debating selling my FRS.  Going to take it to an autocross event at the end of the month and see how that goes.

#15 mastadon

mastadon

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 03:19 PM

Yeah an FRS would be a pretty fun car. But between the payment on my daily, the wifes SUV and having the jeep I am going to have to find something pretty cheap until I can pay off my daily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users