• This topic is locked This topic is locked
259 replies to this topic

#121 KBanks

KBanks

Kelmsly Bigglesworth III

• Super Moderator(Mod)
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

I don't think this would work. 3 hours for 50 bucks. That's a pretty high price. The last TBF event was less than 100 and we got around ~6 hours of track time on 2 tracks. You are suggesting twice the price for less value. You wouldn't have enough people pay to convince firebird of having a drifting day on it's own imo.

Seriously? $50 is too much? I'd pay more to keep people off the track and stop bringing out cars that should not be out there. How much time do people really spend drifting when they are out there? waiting 10 minutes for a run then a person runs into the tire wall and kills 40 minutes of drifting then something else happens. People here are very spoiled. Adams in riverside is $20 an hour to drift... they have 3 sessions... that's $60... you save $10. What's to complain about. How much people got into drifting because it was the cheaper way to go?

yeah, well gas, rent and everything else is way more expensive in Cali too so whats your point? we arent spoiled. we pay with what our cost of living allows in az. and didnt you hit a tire wall at adams, which probly made people have to wait on you? I know I fuck up sometimes which makes people have to wait on me. people all start somewhere.Not trying to be a dick, just trying to prove a point. I agree with what Kelly says about separating groups, however thinking about it now, the biggest thing that teaches me is running with better drivers and trying to follow their line. I think that will be lost for many of us if we separate the events into groups.all in all I think we have a good thing going that could only benefit from different layouts/tracks, but if that cannot be done then who's complaining? we can always make a trip to vegas/cali/nm and slide there if we need something new also.

So you're complaining about costs but then suggest traveling to Vegas :blink: The separation in groups is fundamental. It's the reason there are eight different courses at Ebisu and the reason why most successful drifting organizations have multiple courses for one event. Some people do not need to be on main track at all just yet. I think raising the costs a little bit will eliminate the people that are fucking around and wasting time but at the same time bring in more people that are serious.

$30 = 40+ cars on average right?
$60 = 20+ cars with a higher skill level driver on average means more track time for everyone. The key to this is getting the skidpad for beginners. It sounds unfair but skidpad allows enough flexibility to go from a first time driver to a driver that is ready for tandem. Then, when your skill level is where it should be, start driving on main and west. I know I'm not the first person to think this or even say it out loud but the Drag and Drift is a fucking circus right now, hence our top drivers in AZ don't even show up regularly.

#122 rev-em-hard

rev-em-hard

S14 SE Alloys

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:33 AM

I don't think this would work. 3 hours for 50 bucks. That's a pretty high price. The last TBF event was less than 100 and we got around ~6 hours of track time on 2 tracks. You are suggesting twice the price for less value. You wouldn't have enough people pay to convince firebird of having a drifting day on it's own imo.

Seriously? $50 is too much? I'd pay more to keep people off the track and stop bringing out cars that should not be out there. How much time do people really spend drifting when they are out there? waiting 10 minutes for a run then a person runs into the tire wall and kills 40 minutes of drifting then something else happens. People here are very spoiled. Adams in riverside is $20 an hour to drift... they have 3 sessions... that's $60... you save $10. What's to complain about. How much people got into drifting because it was the cheaper way to go?

yeah, well gas, rent and everything else is way more expensive in Cali too so whats your point? we arent spoiled. we pay with what our cost of living allows in az. and didnt you hit a tire wall at adams, which probly made people have to wait on you? I know I fuck up sometimes which makes people have to wait on me. people all start somewhere.Not trying to be a dick, just trying to prove a point. I agree with what Kelly says about separating groups, however thinking about it now, the biggest thing that teaches me is running with better drivers and trying to follow their line. I think that will be lost for many of us if we separate the events into groups.all in all I think we have a good thing going that could only benefit from different layouts/tracks, but if that cannot be done then who's complaining? we can always make a trip to vegas/cali/nm and slide there if we need something new also.

So you're complaining about costs but then suggest traveling to Vegas :blink: The separation in groups is fundamental. It's the reason there are eight different courses at Ebisu and the reason why most successful drifting organizations have multiple courses for one event. Some people do not need to be on main track at all just yet. I think raising the costs a little bit will eliminate the people that are fucking around and wasting time but at the same time bring in more people that are serious.

$30 = 40+ cars on average right?
$60 = 20+ cars with a higher skill level driver on average means more track time for everyone. The key to this is getting the skidpad for beginners. It sounds unfair but skidpad allows enough flexibility to go from a first time driver to a driver that is ready for tandem. Then, when your skill level is where it should be, start driving on main and west. I know I'm not the first person to think this or even say it out loud but the Drag and Drift is a fucking circus right now, hence our top drivers in AZ don't even show up regularly.

I am not complaining about costs whatsoever.I am saying that the majority rules and majority of the people will not go if the prices go up and seat time goes down, for the new drivers anyways. There are kids that live near me that are barely able to afford what is charged now.What i was saying was that, for those of us that are willing to pay more for different layouts, we can always go to other events in nearby states as well, or even pay a little more on the D&D nights to do a more advanced layout. if the idea is to get skidpad for begginers , and main for the more experienced then I agree. All I was stating was that we have to still have someplace affordable for begginers so that shit doesnt go to the streets. because lets face it, even right now we have people that are too cheap to go to D&D and think that they arent good enough to go so they do dumb shit on the streets.we always will, but lets not make it harder for them to get to the track, just to accommodated those of us that can afford to do other tracks also. as long as we do what we can to accommodate newer drivers and give them a place to learn then I am cool either way.but you are right, there should be a way to accommodate both parties.you get what I am saying right?god I suck at explaining shit :(

Edited by rev-em-hard, 04 May 2011 - 10:37 AM.

#123 NA6-Pat

NA6-Pat

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Super Moderator(Mod)
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:09 AM

Az needs to focus on the quality of seat time not the quantity of drivers. Drifting isn't for everyone and if you can't afford it you shouldn't bring your shit bucket out anyways. D&D ruined az drifting and the PIR demolition is looking to kill it.

No one gets much better or learns much from the cluster fuck that is d&d

Kelly is on the right track with his idea but idk that d&d can be fixed, honestly

#124 Jade

Jade

R34 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:33 AM

Az needs to focus on the quality of seat time not the quantity of drivers. Drifting isn't for everyone and if you can't afford it you shouldn't bring your shit bucket out anyways. D&D ruined az drifting and the PIR demolition is looking to kill it.

Kelly is on the right track with his idea but idk that d&d can be fixed, honestly

I agree but hey whatever seat time I can get I take it.

Kelly,

Team Darkness is about to come through!

#125 rev-em-hard

rev-em-hard

S14 SE Alloys

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

I think to a certain extent, people do learn from D&D, however, I do agree that once driver skill gets to a certain level, you will not progress unless you find a more advanced layout.I am sure you could still use main as a tool to fine tune techniques, but the speeds will still be slower. Once I started going to different tracks and doing actual comps, it humbled my ass like no other lol. I then realized that main at firebird on D&D night is just a stepping stool to learn, but from there you gotta move on. I am learning so much just from XDC. Lot of high caliber drivers and alot to be learned from them. So in other words I disagree and agree with you all at once? :blink:

you guys make some good points. my question is, how can we do it to where people still have that starting point and from there still have room to progress without leaving the state? I think kelly may have something going with the idea of having skidpad for the newer folks and main for the more advanced.Maybe more aggressive layout for main.? but lets face it, it sounds as if firebird is not going to give much more then we have currently.

Edited by rev-em-hard, 04 May 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#126 AZDRiFT

AZDRiFT

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

IMO, you guys are over thinking this whole thing.

D&D is not a "drift event" it is an "open drift".

It's for new drivers to get out there and get seat time. Mid level guys and pro level drivers wont get much more than shakedowns from D&D.

Alot of new drivers have come up through D&D and are now going to events...case in point the TBF/Modified event had a record number of drivers.

How this "ruins" anything I dont know.

We need to get real events going again here. Plain and simple. There is only one track left that I know of, and its pretty well booked year round.

#127 AlexAZD

AlexAZD

5 Lug Conversion

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

we pay with what our cost of living allows in az. and didnt you hit a tire wall at adams, which probly made people have to wait on you? I know I fuck up sometimes which makes people have to wait on me. people all start somewhere.Not trying to be a dick, just trying to prove a point.

Yes I did hit a wall at Adams and did not stop moving, so no it did not hold anyone up are make anyone wait to continue on the track. And you were trying to be a dick and you proved no point or the bold/underline would not have been there. Now that is over...

I do not think there is anything wrong with people that go to the track with at least a set up that can work for drifting. Pat and Kelly make valid points on D&D's.

Well I think we can get back to topic since this wasn't a start on the debate of if things are good or not but if people wanted skid pad or main... so.. If this needed to go any further I think PM's or a seperate thread would be the best idea.

#128 rev-em-hard

rev-em-hard

S14 SE Alloys

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:27 PM

we pay with what our cost of living allows in az. and didnt you hit a tire wall at adams, which probly made people have to wait on you? I know I fuck up sometimes which makes people have to wait on me. people all start somewhere.Not trying to be a dick, just trying to prove a point.

Yes I did hit a wall at Adams and did not stop moving, so no it did not hold anyone up are make anyone wait to continue on the track. And you were trying to be a dick and you proved no point or the bold/underline would not have been there. Now that is over...

I do not think there is anything wrong with people that go to the track with at least a set up that can work for drifting. Pat and Kelly make valid points on D&D's.

Well I think we can get back to topic since this wasn't a start on the debate of if things are good or not but if people wanted skid pad or main... so.. If this needed to go any further I think PM's or a seperate thread would be the best idea.

no, wasnt trying to be a dick. just proving my point that you and I BOTH dont have the right to say that if somebody is worthy to be at some track or not.you spoke about how some people that should not be out there.I was using your incident at adams to show you that those things happen to everybody including you.If you want to be mad then fine, but you made the statement, not me.Its like me saying that all those guys that fuck up all the clipping points and cones at XDC should not be allowed to attend because it slows other drivers down,when I am one of those people. as far as you not slowing anybody down at adams, you missed my point. You coulda had more issues then you did and then you woulda slowed up drivers.Its nobodies fault. Its the name of the game.I am simply stating that if firebird takes their money, and they pass tech, they have the right to be there and learn whether you, me or anybody else likes it or not.if somebody feels that firebird is not thorough enough on tech, then take it up with them.Rich hit the nail on the head with his statement. D&D is for newer guys to learn. It is my belief that if we dont like it and want to add to it then great, as long as we dont take away from it.

#129 NA6-Pat

NA6-Pat

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Super Moderator(Mod)
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Drifting is serious.

#130 Jade

Jade

R34 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:53 PM

Drifting is serious.

since 2002

#131 KBanks

KBanks

Kelmsly Bigglesworth III

• Super Moderator(Mod)
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Honestly Rich hit the nail on the head. I wish I could just hit the damn lottery and make my own Ebisu south of Prescott. I have never really put any serious effort towards research on throwing a drift day at west track. Mostly I just trust that the people that have told me it's not worth it are right. And truthfully, I'm broke as a joke right now with everything I have going on. When I have enough funds to cover an event by myself, I will throw one just to find out the hard way whether or not I can break even. If I can just not loose, I would throw about six events a year with schools for beginners and competitions for advanced drivers that take it seriously enough. Until this fantasy comes to reality, we have Drift N' Drag. I will turn that shit up a notch when my shit is done and I expect 2012 to be a pretty damn good year. I said 2011 was gonna be an awesome year and look at what you guys are doing; leading XDC, whooping ass at Irwindale, competing in Vegas and a few are gonna make it to Seattle!

#132 Jade

Jade

R34 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 4,514 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:13 AM

Team Darkness had a meeting last night and we plan to have some cool things coming up! :)

#133 AZDRiFT

AZDRiFT

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:59 AM

Posted Image

#134 abraineatingzombie

abraineatingzombie

stock steelies

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:43 PM

So, was there ever a solid decision made to divide the night into novice and advanced driving classes? And if so, who is the judge/jury to decide the division?

#135 AZDRiFT

AZDRiFT

R32 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:59 PM

So, was there ever a solid decision made to divide the night into novice and advanced driving classes? And if so, who is the judge/jury to decide the division?

Nah, just open drift.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users