• This topic is locked This topic is locked
75 replies to this topic

#31 phoenixR34

phoenixR34

Ok dudes, let's walk this sucker

• Veterans
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:22 PM

Night Racing is ignoring me. I don't know what but he has not answer my e-mails, or call me back.

RB25DET Swap S13 Drive shaft.. $435.00

:lol:

Geez, if you surf www.240sx.us for a while you can start to get an idea of how much he owes everyone, i'd say the # is in the tens of thousands.

240SX.us is a funny site, it's at the level this site was, back when AZ240SX was a Yahoo mailing list. There are a few knowledgeable people on there, but mainly it's Cameron talking or everyone asking where Cameron is because he owes them money. It's funny seeing Brian240SX saying "Ok, this thread is OVER, I'm locking it now!" lol.

Edited by phoenixR34, 15 July 2004 - 12:22 PM.

#32 Brad

Brad

Ostrich in a china shop

• Veterans
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:22 PM

i cant remember how many times they have told me to stop when my front wheels were on teh rollers :lol:

they look for stuff like charcoal canisters and EGRs cause the computer tells them where to look. after awhile you begin to see what they look like

an RB is illegal, end of story. its just more of a hassle to get you in trouble, than it is to fail you or just let you go cause you passed. the guy making 7.50 an hour probably doesnt feel like doing all the work to get the DOT on your ass.

and if he asks you what kind of engine it is, you probably didnt mention the fact that it is a japanese only engine that doesnt officially meet any US standards cause it has never been over here. did you say that?

#33 phoenixR34

phoenixR34

Ok dudes, let's walk this sucker

• Veterans
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:26 PM

and if he asks you what kind of engine it is, you probably didnt mention the fact that it is a japanese only engine that doesnt officially meet any US standards cause it has never been over here. did you say that?

Do you honestly think any emissions employee has been trained to recognize "illegal" engines and how to notify the DOT of such offenses? Yeah right. And do you think any $8/hr DMV employee who does vehicle inspections all day knows the first thing about which engines are illegal or not? We're talking about one car (the 240SX) and a few different engines.. in the big picture where there are hundreds of different cars to get inspected, a 240SX is a drop in the bucket.

#34 MUSICSURFMAN

MUSICSURFMAN

S14 SE Alloys

• Veterans
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:34 PM

THE TECH OFFICIALS ARE USED FOR INSPECTIONS..... NORMALLY FOR REGISTERING VEHICLES FROM OUT OF STATE, REBUILT/SALVAGED VEHICLES, CUSTOM ROADSTERS/ETC., AND OTHER SAFETY CONCERED VEHICLES BEFORE THEY CAN BE REGISTERED.

THE TECH OFFICIALS KNOW WHAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE CARS BY TH VIN NUMBER THEY RUN. THEY ASKED ME WHAT WAS IN THERE AND WHERE IT CAME FROM, I EVEN GAVE THEM THE ENGINE BAY TAG OFF THE SKYLINE. DON'T BELIEVE APPLY FOR AN ENGINE SWAP TITLE (MUCH LIKE YOU HAVE TO DO TO LEGALLY INSURE A V8 Z CAR ETC) AND GO THROUGH THE INSPECTION WITH WHATEVER SWAPPED ENGINE YOU HAVE.... THEY WONT QUESTION YOU AS LONG AS NO EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT IS DISABLED AND IT WILL PASS EMISSIONS.

NO YOU SHOW ME: WHERE IN THE DOT STANDARDS THAT A NON-US ENGINE CAN'T BE LEGALIZED, WHERE THIS LIST OF APPROVED ENGINES IS, AND WHERE IT SAYS THAT A ENGINE FROM A DOT APPROVED VEHICLE IS NOT LEGAL FOR ROAD USE IN ANOTHER CAR..... I WILLING TO BET YOU CAN'T.

#35 s13oB

s13oB

5 Lug Conversion

• Veterans
  • 284 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

why are you guys getting so offensive about this.... I notice that few ppl on this forum get so piss off (I may have sometimes..I admit it) about somebody else's opinions. Respect what other ppl has to say, you don't have to like it but you don't gotta cus them off just because you don't agree with it.
you know who you are...

#36 Ray

Ray

• Veterans
  • 4,446 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:19 PM

THE TECH OFFICIALS ARE USED FOR INSPECTIONS..... NORMALLY FOR REGISTERING VEHICLES FROM OUT OF STATE, REBUILT/SALVAGED VEHICLES, CUSTOM ROADSTERS/ETC., AND OTHER SAFETY CONCERED VEHICLES BEFORE THEY CAN BE REGISTERED.

THE TECH OFFICIALS KNOW WHAT ARE SUPPOSED TO BE IN THE CARS BY TH VIN NUMBER THEY RUN. THEY ASKED ME WHAT WAS IN THERE AND WHERE IT CAME FROM, I EVEN GAVE THEM THE ENGINE BAY TAG OFF THE SKYLINE. DON'T BELIEVE APPLY FOR AN ENGINE SWAP TITLE (MUCH LIKE YOU HAVE TO DO TO LEGALLY INSURE A V8 Z CAR ETC) AND GO THROUGH THE INSPECTION WITH WHATEVER SWAPPED ENGINE YOU HAVE.... THEY WONT QUESTION YOU AS LONG AS NO EMISSIONS EQUIPMENT IS DISABLED AND IT WILL PASS EMISSIONS.

NO YOU SHOW ME: WHERE IN THE DOT STANDARDS THAT A NON-US ENGINE CAN'T BE LEGALIZED, WHERE THIS LIST OF APPROVED ENGINES IS, AND WHERE IT SAYS THAT A ENGINE FROM A DOT APPROVED VEHICLE IS NOT LEGAL FOR ROAD USE IN ANOTHER CAR..... I WILLING TO BET YOU CAN'T.

Lets settle this, goto the dmv, and tell them, "This engine is from Japan and I put it in my car, this engine doesnt even belong in this car." have at it.

#37 Toki

Toki

Yuppie

• Veterans
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:26 PM

The reason you tell them about the V8 in the V8 Z is because it was an american production engine, it's up to chalk with the american standard. It doesn't matter where it started or where it is now, if it came in a car you could buy in the US, it's legal. You could put a viper v10 in a civic hybrid chasis for all they care, because it's a legal motor.

The RB and SR series of motors were never used in the US, hence why they arn't legal.

#38 champa

champa

"The Smoker"

• Valhalla
  • 8,365 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:37 PM

i still don't understand why you guys think the RB is illegal?

#39 Inabj2

Inabj2

R34 GT-R Alloys

• Veterans
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:48 PM

why are you guys getting so offensive about this.... I notice that few ppl on this forum get so piss off (I may have sometimes..I admit it) about somebody else's opinions. Respect what other ppl has to say, you don't have to like it but you don't gotta cus them off just because you don't agree with it.
you know who you are...

I think its a case of internet courage, I fucking guarantee you, that this internet though guy douchbag attitude that some people seem to have only happens in the board.

Was there a need for the name calling? Or insulting each other? Nope.

#40 Joe

Joe

Administrator

• Admin(Admin)
  • 9,371 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:53 PM

i still don't understand why you guys think the RB is illegal?

because technically it is.

the ONLY RB that is ink and paper legal are the ones IN the motorex skylines. they are set up differently than the ones from OE nissan. (computer program mostly)

the engine must have been in a production car that passed a EPA inspection for sale in this country. Motorex are the only people that can make the RB engines legal.

ALL rb's from japan are technically illegal but emissions employee's are fucking retarded. YES even the state funded professionals who do the high end saftey and tech inspections. how many people on here have ever even SEEN an RB, so showing one to someone who 1) dosent know shit about imports 2) dosent know what is or isnt legal engine wise, it isnt gonna mean anything. the only things they know to look for are emissions SPECIFIC equipment.

Edited by Kamin, 15 July 2004 - 01:54 PM.

#41 Anger

Anger

drunk bitch

• Veterans
  • 621 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:01 PM

damn this is off topic

#42 Tyler

Tyler

Volk GT-P

• Veterans
  • 973 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:14 PM

-taking the topic further off topic-
(going back to the begining of the topic where the illegalness of a RB started)

Yes they would be illegal to put in a car and try to make it street legal but would it be illegal to swap into a car that is trailered to a track every weekend? There is no actual connection between buying a clip and trying to make it street legal.

Remeber in the eyes of the law it's either all or none, no "most of the time"

Edited by Tyler, 15 July 2004 - 02:16 PM.

#43 Joe

Joe

Administrator

• Admin(Admin)
  • 9,371 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:18 PM

off road use = no government control. but it has to be a flat trailer, not a dolly. if wheels touch the road it has to have current registration and insurance.

#44 Paul

Paul

Quote Ninja

• Veterans
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:33 PM

because technically it is.

the ONLY RB that is ink and paper legal are the ones IN the motorex skylines. they are set up differently than the ones from OE nissan. (computer program mostly)

the engine must have been in a production car that passed a EPA inspection for sale in this country. Motorex are the only people that can make the RB engines legal.

ALL rb's from japan are technically illegal but emissions employee's are fucking retarded. YES even the state funded professionals who do the high end saftey and tech inspections. how many people on here have ever even SEEN an RB, so showing one to someone who 1) dosent know shit about imports 2) dosent know what is or isnt legal engine wise, it isnt gonna mean anything. the only things they know to look for are emissions SPECIFIC equipment.

So does this mean all SR motors are illegal? I know of no car imported into the US with an SR under the hood. It appears to me that people are having a difficult time passing emissions not because of the motor swap, but because the sniffer fails them.

And as far as MusicMan's comment about notifying the DMV about a motor swap (V8 into a Z, etc): That's complete BS. You don't have to tell them squat. All that matters is that the vehicle pass all the requirements set up for that vehicle for that year. i.e. tail pipe sniffer and any emissions equipment originally found on that car that year.

#45 Brad

Brad

Ostrich in a china shop

• Veterans
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 02:52 PM

haha yes all SRs are illegal

its the new pastime in california, the "240sx hood pop"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users